Sunday, March 23, 2014

"Graphic Memoirs Come of Age," Response (7)

I want to begin by saying that William Bradley's article "Graphic Memoirs Come of Age," was an example of a masterful work of writing, in my opinion. His technique seemed rather simple yet very powerful, and the references used throughout, such as the Batman instance found on page 164, help to explain concepts like comic "gutters," that otherwise would be much more difficult to grasp and understand. This is how I would want my essays to read, and I will certainly take note for my upcoming research paper. The content found in this piece was very interesting as well, as Bradley explores just what exactly these non fiction graphic novels should be classified as. As someone who has read quite a few comic books growing up, I definitely found a way to relate to the argument being brought forth here in the text, which made it all that much more interesting to me. Personally, I feel that these works should still be viewed as graphic novels regardless of their narrative/nonfiction nature, as when read that is what they are essentially are at heart. It seems that the author here s adamant about disproving this claim, but I have to disagree as I see no harm in viewing it as such.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brandon,
    I agree that Bradley's piece is very well written. I think especially the level of description and wit in his writing makes reading it more fun. Like when he says "lasagne-craving cats who hate Mondays " instead of Garfield .

    ReplyDelete